On 27 February 2021, the Victorian government announced their plan to ban selected single-use plastic products to reduce the volume of waste going to landfill.
State government departments and agencies stopped using banned items from February 2022. However, the ban will not apply to all cafes, restaurants and businesses in Victoria until 2023.
The following items will be banned from 1 February 2023:
- Single-use plastic straws
- Single-use plastic cutlery
- Single-use plastic plates
- Single-use plastic beverage stirrers and sticks
- Single-use plastic expanded polystyrene food and drink containers
- Single-use plastic cotton bud sticks
Legislation will not affect medical or scientific equipment, emergency management services or individuals who require particular single-use plastic products due to disability or for health and safety.
The Victorian government will work with the aged care and disability sectors to develop exemptions for individuals who require straws or other single-use plastics.